I'm sharing some more favorites with you in another "episode" of Today's Top 3. It's the first day of October and I have autumn on my mind, so today I'm dishing about my favorite fall items, the recipes I turn to on busy weeknights, and the TV series that I can (and do) watch over and over again.
Top 3 fall items
- "Pumpkin Spice & Everything Nice" art print - I know I'm a little biased about this one, but I can't help but share it again. I have this print hanging above the stove in our kitchen and it makes me happy each time I see it. My goal this week is to spread the pumpkin cheer by printing a few copies and mailing them to friends. Who doesn't love fall-inspired happy mail?
- Apple Cider Yankee Candle - Our Suite may not look very fall-ish, but it sure does smell like fall! As the weather starts getting cooler, I love coming into a warm house that smells like spice. We've been lighting this candle a lot lately!
- Homemade apple butter - Making homemade apple butter in the crockpot is one of my very favorite things to do in the fall. Not only is it delicious to spread on biscuits and english muffins (and scones, and peanut butter sandwiches, and toast...) but it's a fun little gift for friends and it makes our home smell wonderful.
Top 3 go-to recipes
- Chicken Tamale Casserole - I'm all about quick and easy meals and Jake is all about meals that he can dump red pepper on, so this is a tasty win-win for the both of us. Cornbread mix, chiles, creamed corn, cheese, chicken, tamale sauce - scrumdiddlyumptious. Throw together a salad while it's baking and voila! Dinner's served.
- Salmon, Feta, & Couscous - This technically isn't a recipe, but it's so simple that it doesn't need writing down. I pan-fry salmon on the stove with olive oil and season it with salt and pepper. Meanwhile I cook the couscous (I like Near East's Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil) and dish a happy portion on our plates. I sprinkle feta cheese on the couscous and then place the salmon on top of everything. Easy, right? And it only takes 10 minutes! Roasted asparagus, broccoli, or green beans are great sides to serve with it.
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats - I would choose these over lasagna any day! Zucchini stuffed with sausage, topped with marinara and cheese - it's delicious. And Jake loves it too because, again, he can dump red pepper flakes all over it. I usually make bread to go with it and sprinkle on a little more cheese for good measure.
Top 3 TV series
- Suits - All-time favorite, hands down. This was the first TV series that Jake and I watched after we got married and over the past 2 years we still haven't found one that measures up. A show about a law firm in New York City may not sound so appealing, but throw in Lewis, Donna, and Harvey and you're in for a treat. The characters make the show.
- The Office - This is a classic in the Hooker household. Something about Michael, Dwight, and Jim never gets old. There isn't a week that goes by where Jake and I haven't quoted at least 5 lines from The Office. "I'm not superstitious... I'm just a little stitious." I'm smiling just thinking about it.
- Fixer Upper - Home transformations, Joanna Gaines' design, and Chip Gaines' humor. Really, what's not to love?
Your turn! What are your top 3 fall items, go-to recipes, and TV series?